Mold isn't always visible in your property, and there are several telltale signs that there may be mold present in your property. The following list has been compiled to outline signs of potential mold contamination in your home.
1. Your HVAC system (air conditioning) has an odd odor emanating from it: Mold can grow within the air ducts due to a faulty air handler, abnormal condensation around the air ducts and poor maintenance. Signs of mold growth can be indicated via leaking around the air handler, poorly maintained air filters, as well as heavy condensation around the air vents or dark specks spotting around the air vent.
2. Dark grout around the shower: This may just be a caulking issue where slight moisture from showering has gotten into the caulking and is manifesting through mold growth. However, it could also indicate a larger issue, such as a plumbing issue or a larger leak, such as from the shower pan. It is recommended having a plumber assess the area, and if there is a leak, have a mold inspector assess the area.
3. Cold like symptoms, akin to type 1 allergies, which won't subside: The majority of molds can trigger type 1 allergies, such as coughing, sneezing, itchy eyes.
4. A musty odor in the property: This usually suggests a moisture issue/ventilation issue in the property, which can facilitate mold growth. Have a mold inspector assess the property if no source can be found.
5. Your sink or toilet has flooded: Moisture travels fast, and is wicked up by the baseboards very quickly, Mold only needs 24-48 hours to grow, so it is advised having the area assessed for moisture and mold to determine if any of the surrounding materials need to be restored after a flood in the property.
MOLD HEALTH EFFECTS BLOG AND RESEARCH