There are a plethora of rudimentary steps that can be taken as a first line defense against mold in your home. Here is a concise list covering the most fundamental tricks to mitigating against potential mold growth in your property:
1. Remove any leaves and debris (i.e. 'earth') away from your property. Various vegetation can harbor mold, and you don't want this near your property.
2. Remove all debris from the gutters and downspouts to ensure that any rainfall is being conveyed properly away from the property.
3. Use a foam insulation to seal off any potential unplanned water intrusions around the perimeter of the property.
4. Remove any storage from attics and crawlspaces. These areas are areas where mold often thrives due to high humidity and evaporating water (in the crawlspace). Any storage items can then enhance the risk of mold growth, especially if they are organic items that mold can feed off.
5. Drain sprinkler systems.
6. Replace air filter for HVAC system every three months. This will fully optimize your HVAC system and reduce dust accumulation. Mold feeds off dust, so this will achieve two things: better ventilation in the property and mitigation against mold.
7. Install weather stripping around windows and doors.
8. Place dehumidifiers in bathrooms that have poor ventilation, or bathrooms that lack an exhaust vent.
MOLD HEALTH EFFECTS BLOG AND RESEARCH